Private companies get rich on putting people in jail. What could possibly go wrong? Llewellyen Hinks-Jones explains in “Privatized Prisons: A Human Marketplace”:
Particularly with respect to drug and immigration law, private prison companies lobby on behalf of bills and donate to campaigns that support stricter sentencing guidelines and building more prisons. These companies also fund efforts with pro-corporate, quasi-lobbying groups like the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) to draft legislation that would result in locking up more people for minor offenses and misdemeanors.
Arizona’s Senate Bill 1070, the “Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act,” may be the best example of this. Private prison companies heavily lobbied on behalf of the ALEC-drafted bill that would have allowed law enforcement to imprison anybody accused of illegal immigration simply because they were caught without paperwork. If fully enacted, it would have been a windfall to the immigration detention industry operated by private prison companies. Copycat bills using the same legal language have since been discovered in various other states.
This is disgusting. Here is the American Capitalist system at it’s absolute worst. Be careful of the ideas and legislation you support, and understand who actually stands to benefit, and who actually stands to lose.
The answer might surprise you.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance. And a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives."
- James Madison
- rachelfershleiser likes this
- jacgares likes this
- theglobalnewsandviews likes this
- rachelcristine reblogged this from lareviewofbooks
- weatherall likes this
- bonlennon likes this
- sheldon-targaryen reblogged this from lareviewofbooks
- pagetwentyseven likes this
- thehummingbirdsound reblogged this from lareviewofbooks
- 2minichinz likes this
- fourthdimensionnomad reblogged this from lareviewofbooks
- nhaler reblogged this from lareviewofbooks
- cheshire3000 likes this
- nhaler likes this
- chrisjrice likes this
- linguophilic reblogged this from lareviewofbooks
- billrosch likes this
- nonsensetwice reblogged this from lareviewofbooks
- indolently-idle reblogged this from lareviewofbooks
- tumblingforth reblogged this from lareviewofbooks
- maudnewton likes this
- lareviewofbooks posted this